Monday, 4 October 2010

land of the thunder dragon

Never have i ever been sooo happy to see an international food section on a hotel menu. I feel sort of safe from all the spices they sneakily add in all the foods. India has been nice for the 2 days we have been there, in the hotel room... Delhi's pollution has not been too good on my poor lungs. Neither has the rich Indian food on my belly...
Last night we were able to watch the common wealth games opening ceremony fireworks from our hotel.
This morning we left for Paro, in Bhutan, Delhi's new airport is really nice, way cleaner and sophisticated than mexico city's one. The security check is so long and slow, in true Indian fashion. We all get on the plane, germs and all, and I fall asleep. While I was in dream land, the Bhutanese head of cabinet befriended Alix, they were all very friendly.
There was a bit of a dilema getting our cigarettes through customs as they thought we were ciggy dealers as tobacco is illegal.
I found out that pornography is illegal here, which I found quite random. Its nice to know that I am in a place where vulgarity does not exist. Another funny thing is that Bhutanese men wear these sorts of robes that stop at the knee and they were knee high socks. In this country the women check out the men's legs instead of the other way round ahah.
We meet our guide Pam who is a sweetheart, we drive to Timpuh which is about an hour and half away. We stop quickly at this lovely temple... I walked up one hill and my lungs nearly collapsed, I am truly in terrific shape. Can't wait for the real deal.
Bhutan is stunning, the people are so friendly, i love their way of life. 73% of Bhutan is nature, and the few houses are truly beautiful. What i love is the way all the trucks are decorated with good luck charms. A funny sight was seeing a school kid drinking a coca cola.
By the way, it is very important to keep hydrated! I stupidly didn't drink any water and now the altitude has gotten to me, headache and all. My hotel room view sets on these incredible mountains where a giant golden statue of Buddha is placed looking over another valley.

the internet is too slow for photos so bear with me!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, food.
    After 3 days of wall to wall curry this past summer, I headed straight for the closest palace and asked: "Where is your grill house ?"
    Courage et fous rires.
    xxx
    Manolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you,
    keep posting so we (comunes mortales del sistema) will keep dreaming through you.


    Tengo un amigo viajero y muy aventurero, q dice q cuando necesita coraje para afrontar algo difícil, recargar sus energías o simplemente se siente feliz, grita UR,UR,URRRR!!!!! y eso le ayuda a seguir a delante.


    Un super UR,UR,URRRRRRR!!!!!!! para vosotros.

    Xxx Katia.

    ReplyDelete